Hard water can take a toll on your plumbing appliances and fixtures. It can reduce the lifespan of appliances like hot water heaters and dishwashers, and can cause your faucets to corrode. To prevent these issues, install a water softener. Call Pride Plumbing for repairs and installations in Mount Gilead, NC. In business since 1965, we get the work done right the first time!
How clean is your home’s drinking water? Keep your family safe when you learn about our water filtration services.
Benefits of Installing a Water Softener
Water softeners can help prolong the lifespan of your plumbing appliances and fixtures, and can also provide other benefits to your Mt. Gilead household. Some advantages can include:
- Cleaner and shinier silverware and glassware.
- Softer, smoother, and cleaner hair and skin.
- Less soap scum on showers and bathtubs, resulting in less housework.
- Less usage of soaps and shampoos, as water that’s gone through the system can result in a rich lather, allowing you to use up to 75 percent fewer products.
- Softer and brighter fabrics and clothing.
- Longer lasting appliances such as coffee makers, ice makers, dishwashers, and washing machines.
How To Maintain Your Water Softener
To keep your water softener working as expected, it’s important to keep it properly maintained. Some tasks you should perform regularly on your unit can include:
- Add rock salt on a regular basis. Most units have a light that will alert you when the system is running low on salt.
- Clean the unit at least once a year.
- Have a professional inspect the system on a regular basis to look for any potential issues.
Does your aging water heater need to be replaced? Contact us to learn about our water heater services.
Signs You Have Hard Water
Are you not sure if you need a water softener? If you notice the following signs that can indicate you have hard water at your Mount Gilead property, you can benefit from installing a system:
- Spots: Look for small, white spots on glassware or dishes after washing them.
- Bottle test: Fill a plastic bottle halfway up with tap water. Put the cap on and shake the bottle. Then, dump out the water. Next, refill the bottle and add a few drops of soap to it. Shake the bottle and look for suds. The longer you have to shake the bottle to get suds to form, the harder your water likely is.
- Low water pressure: If you notice low water pressure from your shower head and faucets it could be due to a buildup of minerals that are clogging the fixtures.
- Faded clothing: Watch to see if the colors in your clothing are fading, or are wearing out more quickly.
- Irritation: Pay attention to if your skin feels dry or your hair becomes brittle.